Tuesday, December 3, 2013

X-O Manowar #19 Review




X-O Manowar #19 Review
By: Jay Reyes

X-O Manowar is without a doubt Valiant's flagship title and it is deserving. X-O Manowar #19 ties in heavily with Valiant's new team book (epic) Unity #1 so if you haven't read that issue YOU WILL BE LOST.




X-O Manowar #19
Writer: Robert Vendetti
Artist: Cary Nord


Aric of Dacia has fought to reclaim the ancestral lands of the Visigoths – and he has bled for it. But nothing he has faced before can prepare him for the combined might of UNITY – and the deadly combination of Harada, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior and Live Wire!


Good: With this being the first issue of X-O Manowar I’ve ever read I have to say it was enjoyable. Seeing what this universe had to offer felt good and exciting because it's not in the DC or Marvel universe.


I had to reread Unity #1 to fully understand  X-O Manowar and was pleased that it continued directly were Aric (X-O Manowar) left off and it could be a good thing or a bad thing because if you don't read Unity you won't understand this issue.

Another good note in this book is Ninjak, who is truly an awesome character! He really deserves his own book and I hope he gets one because I would pick it up. 

Bad: The art! This is the biggest book Valiant has to offer but the art is horrid and with the cover being so beautiful it seems kind of misleading. I hate water color type art and when I saw the first page of this book I almost closed it and read something else, but obviously I kept reading. The story was enjoyable even though it had some problems too because most the book was one giant fight scene. But it had really good character development and somewhat progressed Unity.
Another bad note is Aric (X-O Manowar) himself; I appreciate a character with a cause but he seems very naive and I hope he grows more of a personality in this arc.  
Overall: This was a great jumping on point for people interested in what Valiant has to offer. I recommend this issue if you really can't wait for Unity #2 or if your just really interested in Aric (X-O Manowar) as a character like I am. I really hope the art changes but I am willing to deal with it if the quality of the story continues to be top notch which I Robert Venditti can do. This wasn't my favorite book of the week but it was pretty good

Score: 3.5/5

Support Valiant by picking up Unity and X-O Manowar if you really have an interest in the Valiant universe.

Let us know in the comments what you think of X-O Manowar #19 and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

All images images are courtesy of Valiant Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment