Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Superior Spider-Man #27 Review


By Jay Reyes


The lead up to Goblin Nation has been excellent! But can the event itself keep Superior Spider-Man fresh?  This is the first chapter of the biggest event in the entire Superior Spider-Man Saga! The End starts here. Superior Spider-Man versus… THE GOBLIN NATION!



Superior Spider-Man has failed. Under his watch, the Green Goblin took control of New York’s underworld. This is all Otto Octavius’ fault. Now it’s his responsibility to take the Goblin down. Win or lose, this is set to be Superior Spider-Man's greatest battle.


The Good: Superior Spider-Man #27 starts off fast and furious. The opening pages of this issue is the very definition of a page turner. I can’t wait to see how it all fell apart for Spock Aka Spider-Ock Aka not Peter Parker Spider-Man. I really want to see how Norman Osborn took over the city effectively ending the Superior Spider-Man’s rule over the city.


I really enjoyed some of the major plot points that were revealed in this issue. J. Jonah Jameson Jr wants to use the Spider Slayer technology to kill Superior Spider-Man and I can’t wait to see how that works out for him.  (Spoiler alert in 3...2...1...)


Norman knows that Superior Spider-Man is Otto Octavius! That was definitely a WTF moment for me because I was just utterly shocked that Carlie character actually did something important in a story and wasn’t just the knock off Mary Jane. Goblin and Otto have a really odd relationship  and I hope they touch more on the past with these two villains.


The Bad: The beginning of the issue was perhaps a little too fast and furious (I promise I'm not referencing the movie). The rest of the issue after the first couple of pages was just set up for the next issue. It didn’t feel as exciting and that kind of disappointed me.


The art for this issue felt kind of off. I really like Ryan Stegman and Humberto Ramos art for this series and would rather of had  either of them draw this event. But I can live with Camuncoli’s art for now.


Prediction: I want to try something new out for my reviews. I want to make a prediction for the series that I'm reviewing.


I dusted off my Tarot Cards and now I have full access to the future! My first prediction is Peter Parker will be coming back soon (Duh). I predict that J. Jonah Jameson Jr. will die a horrible death (Jameson's death is a long time coming, I really don’t like him anymore and I'm hoping that they kill him off for a while). I predict Carlie will make it out of Goblin Nation alive but a little crazy (Even though she didn’t make an appearance in this issue she as a Goblin now so that's bound to make you go a little nuts e.g. Norman Osborn). I don’t see Otto Octavius making it out alive when Peter Parker makes his triumphant return and that saddens me. I have enjoyed Otto Octavius' character growth and would much rather have a Doctor Octopus book than a Spider-Man 2099 book. And my last prediction of the day is... Anna Marie will have her heart broken by the end of this series (perhaps the saddest thing that comes out of Peter's return is the obvious fact that Peter Parker doesn't love Anna, Otto Octavius loves Anna) That is sure to be a sad moment when Peter has no recollection of his time with Anna.


Overall: I really liked this issue. Superior Spider-Man #27 was a great  first issue to a  (hopefully) Great event. I look forward to reading the last days of Otto Octavius' reign as the Superior Spider-Man.



Let us know in the comments what you think of Superior Spider-Man #27 and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

All images are courtesy of Marvel Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment