The DC Challenge was conceived during a 1983 San Diego Comic Con rooftop party. The concept was that each issue would have a different writer and artist who would leave their issue with a cliffhanger that the next team will have to get out of, without any consultation from anyone of the other creators. The project forced the writers to find a solution to the cliffhanger using any character from the DC Universe at the time.
DC's Kamandi Challenge Creative Teams
- Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham
- Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams
- Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti
- James Tynion IV & Carlos D'Anda
- Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis
- Steve Orlando & Philip Tan
- Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens
- Keith Giffen & Steve Rude
- Tom King & Kevin Eastman
- Greg Pak & Joe Prado
- Rob Williams & Walter Simonson
- Gail Simone & Ryan Sook
- Len Wein & José Luis García-López.
It is interesting to note that there are 13 creative teams named but it was stated to be a 12-Issue Challenge, perhaps there is a special to tie the whole thing together? Among the creative teams Len Wein, Dan Jurgens, and Keith Giffen also worked on the original DC Challenge with Keith Giffen going from an artist on the first challenge to a writer for the new one.
Stay tuned to Comic Frontline for any new information on the Kamandi Challenge
Let us know in the comments what you think of this DC Comics Announcement and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!
All images images are courtesy of DC Entertainment