Sunday, November 20, 2016

Mimi's Rapid Fire Reviews for Jessica Jones #2, Grand Passion #1, Slam #1 and more!

Hi world, my name's Mimi Schweid and here's my reviews for Jessica Jones #2,  Grand Passion #1, All New Wolverine #14, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #12, Slam #1 and Robyn Hood #6. 



Jessica Jones #2

So I'm a sucker for Jessica Jones since I watched the show, gobbled up the trades, Pulse, etc. therefore I put this series on my Pull List ASAP because now is the time I get to support JJ's world. I'm thrilled the team that brought Jessica to life is still behind it now because even though the past two issues have just been a bit of world building really, I know it's going to be another amazing series when it's all said and done.

Things I'm excited to get answers for;
  1. Why was Jessica in prison?
  2. What's the reason she kept Luke away from there baby?
  3. How exactly did she fix her relationship with her mom?
Side note, I'm also hoping that this doesn't turn into yet another piece of the Civil War 2 plot lines and that Jessica Jones get to be far, far, away from it. Like an entire galaxy style far away would be fantastic. 
  • What I liked most:  Jessica's sass, I missed it so.
  • What I disliked most:  PAINFUL FLASHBACKS.
  • Rating: 5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
I don't give anything close to a shit.
and
But now I feel if I open that door again all the assholes will be waiting for me. Either waiting to kill me, or  worse, have some of intervention. 
Grand Passion #1

Well this was um interesting?

The art style wasn't my favorite to say the least. I'm not sure if I'll continue reading the series as a whole even though I am curious as to how the story will play out. Even though I'm pretty sure I know where this is going. It had a Grand Theft Auto feeling to me that I guess is the main reason as to why I wasn't 100% hooked.


  • What I liked most:  The ending
  • What I disliked most:  Bit predictable.
  • Rating: 3.5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
I love you, mister 'whatever your name is''. I'm sure of it. I know it. But you're dead all the same.
All New Wolverine #14

The last issue I read for All New Wolverine was issue 12 but this was a good spot for me to jump back in. I love this series, I'm thrilled it exists and is still on going, I just suck at keeping up with comics right now. X-23 and Gabby make me so happy.

My favorite thing about reading the All New Wolverine series is that even though it's another story arch, I was able to jump in with being a month behind. I think it's a sign of good writing if it's both 'loyal reader' friendly and 'new reader friendly' all at the same time. 

Next months issue looks just as action packed as this one was and I'm pumped to see how it plays out.

  • What I liked most:  Gabby and Captain Ash.
  • What I disliked most:  BENNET, I HOPE YOU GET A RIFFLE TO THE FACE.
  • Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
Where have you been? Inanimate or not, the pelican was worried sick about you, young lady.
Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #12



Heh, so, funny story. The last time I read Patsy was her Civil War 2 Tie In issue. Thankfully I've been reading comics long enough I knew who Patsy's villain was because Black Cat has been causing trouble in Silk once upon a time.

Patsy Walker is a ray of sunshine and I missed reading this series. I'm going to go back and catch up before next months issue!

I got to see ''Ju-Jube'' do more in this comic than I've ever seen her do in an X-Men movie so that was pretty sweet. I also got to see the adorable support system that is Patsy Walker in action for Ian. I'm excited to see how the next issue plays out as well and am happily back on my Patsy Walker kick!


  • What I liked most:  This issue showed us more of Ian's character growth. Woo-hoo Ian!
  • What I disliked most:  BC, STOP KILLING PEOPLE.
  • Rating:   4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
''Ian, you're my best friend in the world, and I love you. But I am not your punching bag. So talk to me.''
Slam #1

100X YES. Derby Girls kicking  ass? I'm 100% for it. Thank you Kat for telling me to read this. Not only was the art all kinds of colorful (aka my weakness) the writing was just what I needed to get me out of my reviewing slump.

I'm a sucker for FACT blurbs and this comic is filled with them. And sorta made me wish I could afford to do Derby because IT LOOK'S SO COOL. My legs and everything else would hate me but they sorta do all ready from doing kickboxing so really, what's stopping me but time?

ANYWAY, this is an awesome first issue, it set up my leading  ladies and  the layout for however long this series last. Thanks BOOM Comics, this was so freaking awesome.


  • What I liked most:  Th before/after pages. They were done so well and I applaud the team for doing it.
  • What I disliked most:  I don't know to be honest. It gave me everything I like to read.
  • Rating:  5 out of 5 
  • Favorite quote:  
Too skinny from a diet consisting of tears and fury!
Robyn Hood #6

Every time I read a Zenescope comic I am always left happy. Why you might ask? Well, that's simple really. Badass ladies kicking ass and doing the right thing even when it's hard. While I have only read the first issue of the Robyn Hood I LOVE NY 12 issue arch, I was able to fall right back into this world without any issues. Heh, issues.

ANYWAY, I love that even though the cops are on her ass for a murder she didn't commit, Robyn still kicks some ass inside the station. I'm also really intrigued by the Highborn Facility and have a feeling Robyn is going to end up there soon enough/at some point during this story arch.
  • What I liked most:  PUNS! So many puns.
  • What I disliked most:  Asshole cops being asshole cops.
  • Rating: 5  out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
My luck, I'll end up with malaria. 
My Rankings for the week:

  1. Slam #1
  2. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #12
  3. Jessica Jones #2
  4. All New Wolverine #14
  5. Robyn Hood #6
  6. Grand Passion #1




Mimi Schweid Related Links!


Let us know in the comments what you think of this Comic Frontline article, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment