Sunday, February 5, 2017

Mimi's Rapid Fire Reviews for Green Arrow #16, Hawkeye #3, Bullseye #1 and more!


Hi world, my name's Mimi Schweid and here's my reviews for Green Arrow #16, Paper Girls #11, Bullseye #1, Hawkeye #3 and Grimm Fairy Tales The Day of the Dead #1
Green Arrow #16
Oh Ollie, you are just destined to be screwed over aren't you? Oliver Queen is just one of those characters I  think I'll always enjoy reading. He's not always written ''perfect'' all the time but who is? Anyways, this issue picked with Emi, Ollie, Dig, Dinah and the police Chief who has hated Ollie for a majority of this run, fighting some of the actual bad cops in Seattle.

Emi's been gone for a long time and now is adamant on going by Red Arrow, which I'm cool with. She's fun and enjoyable. Emi's a mix of Thea and Roy to me and I've been enjoying that about her. Dinah as always, made me smile just by being on the page. Diggle also got a few chuckles out of me. The ending wasn't what I was expecting and I'm eager for issue 17 to come out so I can see where this is going.

  • What I liked most: The ''gang'' working together. Also that Ollie/Emi hug with the explosion in the background, A+
  • What I disliked most:  THAT ENDING, DAMN IT MERYLN!
  • Rating:    4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  

''For my homecoming celebration, I'll admit I was hoping for pizza, not an abandoned airfield.''

Paper Girls #11


Well I finally started reading Paper Girls. I need to read issues 6-10 but I digress. Better late than never right? Soo yeah, because of this I have no idea why the girls are on an island but I'm excited to catch up while I wait for issue 12!


Kat's been trying to get me to read Paper Girls since it started but I didn't for reasons I can't remember at the moment. For my birthday she got me the first trade and I loved it. What I loved most about this issue though was that dream sequence, It was so dark but the splashes of red were so vibrant. It made me think of the older Hellblazer comics where bloody red scenes were so amazingly red compared to the rest of the time red was used.

I can't wait to see what happens to the girls on this weird ass island and eagerly am awaiting issue 12 while I get my hands on the volume two trade!

  • What I liked most; The coloring.
  • What I disliked most:  Odd ending but awesome all at once.
  • Rating:    out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
''I guess I'm the woman who invented time travel.''

Bullseye #1

Oh Bullseye.

This comic was actually cool. I went in really knowing nothing about this comic but the minuscule details I know about Bullseye. I feel like this comic is going to replace my Punisher fix at the moment while I catch up on The Punisher series that seems to take months to ever happen. Bullseye, to me, is ''worse'' than The Punisher. They are both ''crazy'' but on different levels. I enjoy both of these characters even though I ''shouldn't''. Why? Because they get me crazy awesome fight scenes in any medium that they are in. This comic was filled with fight scenes, set up some entertaining future drama and gave me a good taste of what's to come. I don't know how long this series is going to last but I can tell I am going to enjoy it no matter what.
  • What I liked most: The paper clip scene and the lasts page.
  • What I disliked most: Mixed feelings on the art style.
  • Rating:    4 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
''Thumb drive. Stuffed with all the mobs' secrets to use against them. And it's taped to my thumb. Get it? Thumb drive? Thumb? Aw, well.. Made me laugh.''

Hawkeye #3

Kate Bishop you amazing woman I only want what's best for you.

This is such a fun series and just what I hoped for my girl Kate. She's just doing her best and I'm all for where this is going. Kate taking down a creepy stalker group? Fuck yeah. This has been a fun three issues and I'm curious as to how the rest of this story is going to play out. I know she'll take down the group but she's clearly making a lot of friends and enemies already so I can see the rest of her LA adventures getting crazier with each issue.

One of my favorite things about this run so far is the art style and the way they show how Kate sees rooms/targets etc. I'm in love with the purple circles, her commentary and her acknowledge of her weakness of pretty boys. It's just very fun and light but done in a non-repetitive way. As a fan-girl I can say I've also gone ''oh no, he's cute'' and appreciate Kate's reactions. Can't wait for more LA adventures!
  • What I liked most: The window scene!
  • What I disliked most:  THE ENDING, NOT AGAIN KATIE KATE!
  • Rating:   5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
''Brought low by your own too-obvious metaphors, mystery homeowner slash possibly-evil-kidnapper cult guy.''

Grimm Fairy Tales the Day of the Dead #1
My relationship with Zenescope comics is a sporadic love affair. I try my best to be up to date on the comics but always seem to fall behind. Nevertheless, I am once again, going to try and stay on top of another Zenescope series. Mary Medina is a fun character from what I've now seen. I'm in love with her ''mask'' that she gets while she uses her powers, I also always love New Orleans set series (books, film, TV, comics etc.)

Mary went off to New Orleans during Mardi Gras for reasons that I understand but feel as if I'm sort of missing something. Despite that feeling I had while reading the issue, I am still curious to see where exactly this is going to go. Mary's got some serious power and the ''Mysterious Stranger'' should keep things interesting, at least I hope so.
  • What I liked most: ''GURGLE''
  • What I disliked most:  The art, the cover was cooler than the
  • Rating: 4.5 out of 5
  • Favorite quote:  
''No one can you hear but the dead.''

My rankings for the week;
  1. Hawkeye #3
  2. Green Arrow #16
  3. Paper Girls #11
  4. Bullseye #1
  5. Grimm Fairy Tales the Day of the Dead #1

Mimi Schweid Related Links!



No comments:

Post a Comment