Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Dear Jay 1 - Got A Secret, Why Keep It?


Dear Jay 1 - Got A Secret, Why Keep It?

I always talk about my weird brain, and how I remember things no one else would. I am also not shy about giving my opinion on any subject, just watch Frontline LIVE! I also do my own monthly LIVE show Q & Jay which is a "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) that is also a discussion. I am shocked that the show is so popular and people keep asking me to do it more than once a month, so thanks to that, Allen's suggestion and Chris' shove I will now be doing "Ask Jay". Where you can go to our Discord (preferred method), or PM me on Social Media and ask me about something you're not sure of, some advice or anything you have on your mind. This time we have someone trying to get their wife into Star Trek, Cyber Security, Hidden Passions, Classic Animation, HyperForce , Superboy & More!


Dear Jay,

I love my old school cartoons (circa 1980's & early 90s), but they are getting harder and harder to find on TV. Have you come across this problem and what do you do to solve such issues?

Sincerely,
Blue Without My Toons :frowning: (Via Discord)


Dear Blue Without My Toons,

I love the cartoons from the 80's & 90's too, definitely the Golden Age of animation for me, and I understand that feeling. I personally subscribe to a lot of the streaming services but that isn't something that a lot of people can do. Another option I have is the DVD sets. Now again this is a financial situation that some people can't afford, but this will be the best shot to get those shows that for some insane reason are not on those streaming services, like Justice League, Young Justice, and of course one of my all time favorites Gargoyles. I would also suggest paying attention to not just the big channels on cable, but look at the smaller stations they pick up some great ones and those free apps on smart TVs. I found personally that by combing the streaming services, the DVD sets, smaller channels and the free apps I have a majority of the shows I love and enjoy rewatching.

Best, 

Jay


Dear Jay,

Do you think that traditional animation (2D animation) will ever come back to the movie market?

Sincerely,
RabbitEarsBlog (HUGE FAN of 2D animation) (Via Discord)


Dear RabbutEarsBlog,

Everything old is new again. Right now the hot thing is to push the edge of technology, like CGI etc, but just like how so many action movies used the slow-mo shots after The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, then we saw that trend ending and more traditional movies began being made again. Right now CGI Animation is constantly being upgraded with new breakthroughs so more and more studios are lending towards the trend, especially with so many of them being the bigger grossing movies. But I do think there will be a return to 2-D animation but it will take someone with vision to break out of the trend and a really well done script and overall film.

Best,

Jay



Dear Jay,

I am a huge Star Trek fan and I don't seem to be able to get my wife into it. So far we have tried watching episodes of TOS and TNG (not the full series) and so far she sadly has no interests. I know you are a big fan of the franchise as well. How can I get her to love a show that has been such a huge part of my life?

Sincerely,
Captain Without His Number 1 (Via Twitter DM)


Dear Captain Without A Number 1,

This is something I think we all struggle with, getting our partners, or friends into something we have such passion about. I learned from personal experience the best way for me to do this was to introduce her to Star Trek Voyager. Voyager has a strong female cast and some of the best storylines. I think this is a great gateway series for women to get an idea of Star Trek, you get the representation of women done in a positive way and they get exposed to the other elements that makes us Star Trek fans like the exploration, the stories, the science fiction, characters etc. I am also trying to use Voyager to get my co-host Kat (ComicUno) to get into the franchise as well, but she is very busy so timing is a problem here LOL. Please let me know how the introduction works.

Best, 

Jay



Dear Jay,

My friend and I have been battling over who is the best Power Ranger of all time. He is a Jason supporter and I am a strict Tommy supporter. This debate has raged on for 25 years now since we were little kids. We have mutually decided to end this feud and fulfill the prophecy of uniting us once again for the anniversary by allowing you to decide for us. So please play the role of our Zordon and settle this longtime battle of the Rangers.

Sincerely,
Gung Ho (Via Twitter DM)


Dear Gung Ho,

That is a huge interdemensional tube to fill but I will try my best. I will preface this reply with the fact that I am definitely #TeamJason. To me Jason has always been the best Ranger, he is to me even the original Ranger as he was the first one to want to do it. He is also the hands down best leader in the franchise's history which can even be seen through his return as the Gold Ranger when he puts the leader of the team Tommy at ease by saying he isn't trying to be the leader again, and then telling Rocky who is feeling insecure that he is his friend.

Now this is not to say that there isn't a valid argument for Tommy. Tommy was the first 6th Ranger, super popular, so much so that Saban had to bring him back as the White Ranger. He also spent more time as a Ranger than any other Ranger to date, a record I do not see anyone ever breaking. But as a leader he was just there, no one ever truly looked to him to lead like they did Jason. Tommy was also predestined to be popular by having all the cool bonuses like the Dragonzord, the Dragon Dagger and the shield.

But I will say you are both right. I mean we have a show that has lasted 25 years and we all have our personal favorites. This doesn't mean that any one person's favorite Ranger is better than anyone else's favorite Ranger. There is a reason why that Ranger has made an impact on you, and that makes you are correct because that Ranger is so great that you have become their fan. My advice is to take a cue from Jason and Tommy shake hands and fulfill your destiny by becoming one team again and enjoy this 25th anniversary, we are only 3 months in and already have some awesome stuff like the series, the toys, the comics and HyperForce.

May The Power Protect You,

Zordon (Jay, or Jaydon?)



Dear Jay,

Do you know anything about cyber security? I do, I am going to school for it. Also how much about cyber forensics do you know.

Sincerely,
Legendstorm TV (Via Discord)

Dear Legendstorm TV,

I will say I am more in the know than the average person, but I never claim to be the absolute wielder of knowledge on anything. I know that the general public does not know enough and I do encourage everyone to really look into this because the more we dive into the digital age and the Social Media driven world we live in we must be extra cautious.

Best, 

Jay



Dear Jay,

There is a debate on the 1st appearance of Conner Kent Superboy. Can you help me settle this?

Sincerely,
In Need Of #ContinuityJay (Via Facebook PM)


Dear In Need of #ContinuityJay,

Well this is tricky because of the wording. The character started out a just Superboy and that was in Adventures of Superman #500 in 1993. The character was then named the "Metropolis Kid", Carl Krummet, and "Kon-El" but it wasn't until Teen Titans Vol 3 in 2003 that Geoff Johns had him use the secret identity of Clark Kent's cousin Conner Kent as he lived on the Kent Farm with Ma and Pa Kent and attended Smallville High. So the answer as you can see is dependent on do you want to know when he was first known as "Conner Kent" or just "Superboy" but either way now you know both answers.

Best,

#ContinuityJay


Dear Jay,

I always considered myself a huge Power Rangers fan but I have never seen Hyper Force, and only heard first of it through your Tweets. What is the show about? Is it worth watching? How can I watch it? How does it fit into continuity?

Sincerely,
Hyper Missing Out (Via Twitter DM)

Dear Hyper Missing Out,

Power Rangers HyperForce is AWESOME! The show is an interactive live-streamed tabletop role-playing game (RPG) web series from Saban Brands and Hyper RPG (Hyper Rabbit Power Go). The show includes members of the Power Rangers franchise such as Paul Schrier (best known as Farkus "Bulk" Bulkmiere), Peter Sudarso (the current Blue Ninja Steel/Super Ninja Steel Ranger) along with other internet personalities Andre Meadows (Black Nerd Comedy), Meghan Camarena (Strawburry17) and Cristina Vee (The Miraculous Ladybug). The show is hosted by Game Master (GM) Malika Lim.

The show features Rangers from past seasons of Power Rangers guest starring occasionally, including Erin Cahill (Jen Scotts Power Rangers Time Force), Karan Ashley (Aisha Campbell, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), Mike Ginn (Gem, Power Rangers RPM), Cameron Jebo (Orion, Super Megaforce), Jason David Frank (Dr. Tommy Oliver, Power Rangers Dino Thunder) and the former Blue Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge Ranger Yoshi Sudarso (Peter Sudarso's brother) as the recurring character Joe Shih (older brother of Peter Sudarso's Marv Shih) and Silver Time Force Ranger. The show also featured actress, "Professional DnD Player", and Power Rangers fan Allie Gonino as Lady Guinevere/White Battle Knight.

Where it fits into continuity has been debated a lot, especially as of late, but Melissa Flores the Director of Power Rangers Content for Saban Brands recently settled the debate at a post show Fireside Chat and said that the shows have their continuity, the comics have their own, the movie has its own and HyperForce has its own. So while all things are connected under the banner Power Rangers, and the shows affect all other works, they do not necessarily affect the shows. So to put it simply what happens in HyperForce stays in HyperForce. But this doesn't mean that an idea from HyperForce or any of the other properties can't in some way inspire something in the show.

I highly recommend giving the show a shot. You can catch the show LIVE (Anyone) or on Demand (For subscribers) on Twitch every Tuesday night 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PM PT, on YouTube a week after it airs on Twitch, and audio versions are also available on SoundCloud, Google Play, iTunes and Spotify. Do NOT miss this week's episode as HyperForce enters Shattered Grid!

Best,

Jay


Dear Jay,

I have a secret, I am a straight man but I like watching shows like Pretty Little Liars, Soap Operas, Power Rangers, cartoons and other shows that some may deem either "girl shows" or "kid shows" I am embarrassed to let people know of my hidden passions because I don't want to be judged and ridiculed for enjoying shows that are not "made for me". I seen on Comic Frontline Live and Media Madness Vidcast that you watch these types of shows as well and have no problem admitting it, or even talking about them freely. What advice do you have for someone like me who is hiding it from even his closest friends because of the fear of being judged.

Sincerely,
-A (Via Facebook PM)


Dear -A,

First I love the name LOL. But to answer your question, I think we are raised in a world where people see things with those kind of labels, and it sucks. We are also living in a world where people do mock, name call and judge others for liking things or even people that they or others deemed not fitting for you for whatever reason. For me I was lucky to be raised by parents that taught me to be very confident in who and what I am. I never feel that my masculinity or intelligence is lessened by liking these types of shows. I watch what I like and I do so openly and indiscriminately, and anyone who can't respect that, oh well. But I know some people are a bit more sensitive to their peers opinions, for them and you I say be true to you. This is obviously something you do not want to keep a secret, so don't. Anyone who doesn't accept something like the shows you watch and make fun of you or judge you for them you don't need in your life. If they will do that to something as trivial as your viewing habits then how can you expect them to love and support you through the real big hard decisions and life choices?

Best,

Jay

Well that wraps up this edition of Dear Jay, please remember to keep sending your letters and depending on the amount and frequency of them how often this feature will be.

To find a comic shop near you, visit Comic Shop Locator or call 1-888-comicbook.
For Interviews, News, Previews, Reviews, & more check out Comic Frontline 
Follow & Like Us On TwitterFacebookTumblrGoogle +YouTube & Discord



Let us know in the comments what you think of this Dear Jay Article and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

2 comments: