Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Batman #29 Review


By: Reyes


Zero Year has been an odd story arc to review. I love the creative team but lately I’ve not been enjoying it as much as I feel I should. Did this issue bring me back in?


The 'DARK CITY' chapter of 'ZERO YEAR' reaches its conclusion in this amazing, extra-sized issue! Now, the next chapter of Zero Year is almost upon us, did they save the best for last!? What corners of Batman's past will be revealed? And how will they impact his very near future?

The Good: Batman #29 was a success. Zero Year has been kind of boring as of late but this issue blew my expectations out of the water. Dr. Death's exit from this story was done beautifully and felt necessary to the plot. Riddler was witty and wickedly smart as always, and most importantly Batman felt like Batman.


Even though this was an extra size issue I read it super fast and I ended up wishing it was longer. Greg Capullo's art is still freaking spectacular and Scott Snyder’s writing is also still spectacular. This is definitely one of the best creative teams Batman has had in a long time and I’m so happy they're staying on the series after Zero Year is over.


The Bad:   Batman #29  was my pick of the week for sure but there were some minor issues. I love the Riddler but I feel like this plot is on a Joker or Ra's al Ghul level, The Riddler is super smart and certainly capable of pulling off a big plan but (spoiler alert!) flooding and destroying Gotham just seems bigger than him.


Predicitons:  I have a couple of predictions for the Batman series as a whole. (Prediction 1) The city will be so destroyed and devastated by the flood that Batman will have to save the whole city while driving an awesome bad ass Batcycle.(Prediction 2) The Riddler has another plan under his green question marked sleeve and the flood wasn’t his endgame.


Overall: Batman #29 marked a major turning point for Zero Year and helped me make up my mind if I was going to continue picking up Zero Year, I am eagerly awaiting Batman #30 which is the beginning of savage city. I really want to see how Batman handles the destruction of Gotham and the fact that he lost so epically. Batman #29 is my personal pick of the week.


Let us know in the comments what you think about this review of DC Comics Batman #29 and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the lastest Previews, Reviews News and Interviews!

All images are courtesy of DC Entertainment 




No comments:

Post a Comment