Friday, July 31, 2015

Mulan Revelations #2, Batgirl #42, Thors #2 and more! AKA things got real.

Hi world! My name's Mimi and this is my reviews for Mulan Revelations #2, Batgirl #42,  Black Widow #20, Daredevil #17 and Thors #2! 


LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS IS! LOOK AT IT!



Mulan Revelations #2


IT'S JUST SO PRETTY I WANT TO LIVE IN THIS CRAZY FUTURISTIC STEAMPUNK WORLD AND FIGHT DEMONS WITH MULAN BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE AMAZING. I want to hug the artists and thank them and the writers for making such a beautiful comic that reads like an amazing movie. I simply cannot wait to own a trade paper back of this series, preferably several trade paperbacks that will turn into an omnibus because I simply want to give this creative team ALL OF MY MONEY so they can keep on making more of this series. 
LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL!

Last months issue ended with Mulan and her Uncle about to be attacked by this group of demons, this month, Mulan pulled an Avatar and embarrassed all of her past selves and became a total BAMF and kicked some serious ass. Oh and befriended an American tourist whose been taken along for the ride but in fact took Mulan for a ride and helped her escape than gave her some rocking clothes. I want that new jacket she's got. Seriously awesome jacket. 

If you can't tell, I really loved this comic. It was the first one I read from the amazing list Jay sent me and I want to go out and buy the first two issues and get them framed on my wall. I want Mulan Revelations merchandise, Dark Horse better jump on this gold mind merchandise and start making posters, shirts, mugs etc. 

What I liked most: THAT BREATH TAKING PAGE 2 SCENE! 
What I disliked: THE UNCLE THREATENING, I'M WORRIED FOR THAT MANS SAFETY! THE LIKABLE FAMILY ALWAYS DIES!
Rating: 5 out of 5. GO BUY IT, NOW. GO BUY MULTIPLE COPIES, BUY OUT WHATEVER STORE YOU GO TO GET COMICS FROM COPIES BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!

Batgirl #42

Well it seems that this is the week of me wanting to own all of the comic covers. Seriously Barbara looks so amazing on this cover fighting Livewire. Livewire does look like some crazy version of Storm to be honest.

I like how on page 4, well, the start of the issue, Barbara looks so done with Batman.  I LOVE that Barbara's roommate Frankie has a Black Canary sticker on her lap top. Also the commentary on Livewire's makeup tutorials were 'on point'.  Barbara slipping on sun glasses was really freaking cute on page 9. 

Qadir and Barbara are really freaking adorable. 

Cute quotes of the issue: 
Do you always give Batman orders young lady?
Only the rookies.

We win! High five.
.....
You're really getting into character huh?

Tonight we made a pretty good team.
.....
This is the part where you're supposed to vanish on me. Still got a few of his tricks left to learn.

Cue the ''Aw' sound track. 

Woohoo for Alysia getting married even though I don't know who she is. I love the girl power of Batgirl #42, I really do. It was a fun issue just like issue #41. I'll be sure to work on buying trade paper-backs for this series ASAP!

What I liked most: Those super quote quotes I put.
What I disliked: The uber cheesyness of Livewire while she fought Batman & Batgirl.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Black Widow #20

This has nothing to do with the comic but I listened to Uprising by Muse while I read this issue and it was very, very fitting. Thanks to Scarlett Johansson's portrayal of Black Widow I've been dieing to read this series but didn't get the chance to until now. 

The art in this issue grew on me as it went on. The cover, like Mulan Revelations, is something I want to own as a poster and get hung up on my wall. Seriously, the art just got so cool, so fast. I just had to adjust to it. The blues and reds really popped and I enjoyed Natasha's contrast of 'past' Natasha to 'present' Natasha. It really showed her character growth and matched up with what we've seen in the Marvel movie verse. 

Page 15 and 19 feelings; NOO, I WAS HOPING FOR A DIFFERENT OUTCOME!!

The issue felt like a cool spy movie, which I mean it kind of should being who Natasha is. I didn't realize it was the end of the series and now I'm sad and wished I was reading from the start. I think this was a beautiful issue, Natasha is such a strong character and I could 'feel' the love the writers and artist had for this issue and probably the entire series which was reiterated in the heart warming note at the end of the comic.

What I liked most: The use of red for everything, and not just Natasha's hair.
What I disliked: PAGE 15 AND 19, I loved it but oh man, the feels.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Daredevil #17!

Matt Murdock level sass is on point this issue. Poor Matt fighting someone that's exactly like him but can see. The on going fight for Iraki and Matt throughout the issue was so freaking awesome. Jubula was pretty cool looking, The Shroud was crazy! Iraki giving Foggy, Kristen and Julia tea was a great twist. Or more so a full circle thing thanks to last months issue where Iraki was outside the gangs hide out.

Great quotes:
I'm not a hostage bitch, I used to be Spider-Woman. Show some respect!

They are my guests. I'm not a monster. 

There's always a solution. There's always a victory. Somewhere. Always. Think.

Page 21 made me go: Oh shit out loud and confuse my dad.

The art in the newer Daredevil series never ceases to amaze me. The colors are always breath taking and the over all designs always make me smile.  Matt Murdock has quickly become one of my favorite comic book characters. He's such a heart warming and heart wrenching kind of character. Having him interact with Fisk is always fun and crazy. 

What I liked most; PAGE 21! 
What I disliked: Page 22 because it made me feel sad.
Rating: 5 out of 5.

Bonus: This was a conversation with my friend over where I'm at in the comics.
Melissa: I still need to read Daredevil.
Me: GET YOUR LIFE TOGETHER.
Melissa: MATT MURDOCK NEEDS TO GET HIS LIFE TOGETHER.
Me: MAYBE HE WOULD IF YOU READ THE COMICS!

Thors #2!

Thors #2 was one interesting read, also a short one. The whole Battleworld comics are very entertaining for me because they just feel like crack fanfic.
 ''Tasked with policing all of the Battleworldare the Thors - extraordinary men and women from each domain deemed worthy to mete out justice in the service of Doom, the All-Father! When a serial killer was discovered targeting the same woman across every domain, partners Ultimate Thor and Beta Ray Thor began their investigation. However, Ray quickly got in over his head while looking for answers from Loki and was struck down. His final worlds revealed the identity of the victims- Jane Foster!'' 
Thors #2 cast of Thors consist of Ultimate Thor, Rune Thor, Destroyer Thor, Stormborn, Groot Thor, Thor the Green, The Frog of Thunder, Old Thor and Thor the Unworthy  but not all of them are actually speaking in this issue or are really seen more than once.

I did thoroughly enjoy that Ultimate Thor was off looking for Jane and ran into Thor The Mighty or as he now goes by, Thor the Unworthy, like what? What is happening? Why is Battleworld obsessed with doubles of characters? WHY SO MANY THORS?! WHY MUST THEY ALL HAVE GIGANTIC HAMMERS? IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE A METAPHOR OR ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE COMPENSATING FOR THINGS?! 

The Frog of Thunder also goes by Throg, seriously? That's adorable, not threatening. He has a tiny little hammer and a wolf that walks on it's hind legs in armor. 

Great quote: ''The longer you work this job, the more if feels like all you ever do is sit at a desk, fill out scrolls and go to funerals. The funeral you read the most, even more than your own, is that of your partner. Because no matter how they died, the fact that you're still alive means you failed them.''

I kind of lost it when Old Thor said ''Now we bring the thunder.'' Could no one pass up that opportunity? I mean I can't blame the writers for using it but wow, that actually happened. 

Thors #2 was a grand spanking 19 pages, 17 if you exclude the cover and the little catch up/title page. It was a fun issue but I mainly found myself laughing at all of the Thors. The issue mainly focused on Ultimate Thor, Thor the Unworthy, Throg, the burial of Ray and some cool cameo shots of all of the other Thors fighting the Hulks, Ultrons, Mutants etc. 

What I liked most: The art work, it was a very bright issue with nicely defined armor for the Thors.
What I disliked most: OF COURSE LOKI'S THE VILLAIN, seriously think of something better...
Rating: 2.5

Follow me on social media things: 
Twitter
Tumblr
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment