Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mimi's Raid Fire Reviews Part 2 of 2 for The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1, Spider-Gwen #7 and Gotham Academy #17

 Hi world, my name's Mimi and here's my reviews for some of this weeks new comics! The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1 Gotham Academy #17 and Spider-Gwen #7!


Gotham Academy #17

You can read my other reviews for this weeks comics here


The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1

So, Gwen-Poole, how do I describe Gwen-Poole? Well, she's been popping up for the past few months in Howard the Duck, the Gwen-Poole/Marvel Holiday Special and now she has her own series. 

This was Gwen's first solo comic, it read like a fun intro to a movie. In it's own weird way kind of reminded me of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. for some reason. It made fun of itself and other comics which I appreciated. Gwen-Poole is interesting since she reminds me nothing of Gwen-Stacy and more like Deadpool but that's just me. I think she's going to be a very fun character to read. Gwen-Poole is cute. It's not a mind blowing series but it's pretty fun. It ended on a much deeper note than I expected so I'm totally reading next months issue.

What I liked most: That 'prologue' establishment.
What I disliked most: That villain I don't want to spoil
Favorite Quote:  Evildoers! I foil you with my bullets!
Rating: 4.5  out of 5

Gotham Academy #17
That awkward moment when I've been reading Black Canary for the past 10 months and never realized that Heathcleff was the same Heathcleff from Gotham Academy. Whoops.  I love how when the Gotham Academy gang ran into the Black Canary gang the art style changed and suddenly everyone looked older.

So, this is a part of the Gotham Academy Yearbook section of the comics, I think it's a great concept of showing a bunch of short stories together, all under the same arch but all stand alone. They all stood well as stand alone stories but I love that it all tied back to the Yearbook. It seemed like it was just a bunch of solo story ideas that the team had and didn't want/need to make entire issues so they just did a bunch of adorable one-shots.

I'm excited to get back to the regular Gotham Academy story line but I appreciated this special!

What I liked most: HE WROTE HER A SONG. AWWWWW.
What I disliked most: Cat guy being in it, that little shit.
Favorite Quote:  Pom had an emotion!

Rating: 4.5  out of 5

Spider-Gwen #7
I'm so scattered on Spider-Gwen because of how scattered Marvel has been with publishing this fabulous series. I haven't read issue six, I dropped Spider-Women after issue 1 and I'm horribly behind on Silk but I still was able to enjoy as well as understand this issue. So, good job team! I'm so bad at keeping track of the different Earth's to be honest.

This was one of those cross-over issues that had me laughing more than I expected. It was lighthearted, had people like THE BODEGA BANDIT and cute curses. It plays well on the whole AU world concept of people being able to see family that they can't see in there own so woohoo. I'm happy it touched upon that.

I'll have to read up on the rest of the Spider-Women crossover comics that, thanks to that last page, I know what comics to read next. I appreciated that it's in the book because if I remember to, it'll help me keep track!

What I liked most: The art style and sass!
What I disliked most: It ended.
Favorite Quote:  '1) I know I lost the teleporter and all but, we can agree Cindy's pun was a worse mistake, right?'' 

Rating:  5 out of 5

Here's my Rankings For the week

  1. Mockingbird #1 
  2. Constantine the Hellblazer #11
  3.  Black Canary #10
  4. Xena Warrior Princess #1 
  5. The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1 
  6. Spider-Gwen #7
  7. Gotham Academy #17 




Let us know in the comments what you think of this Comic Frontline article, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment