Friday, April 25, 2014

At The Movies with Jay and Kat: May 2014 Movies "Start of Summer Block Busters"


Kat and Jay are both TV/Movie junkies, and wanted to team up on a feature every month to share their thoughts on upcoming movies. Check out Kat and Jay's thoughts on the key movies coming out in May. May has some big movies coming out like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men Days of Futures Past  and more. 




May 2nd


The Amazing Spider-Man 2




Kat's thoughts: This is my most anticipated movie for this month and probably one of my most anticipated movies for the year. I am a big fan of Spider-Man and I think that this film has a lot of potential. I thought Amazing Spider-Man was a solid movie with some needed humor that the first franchise lacked. Amazing Spider-Man gives enough differences to be recognized as a new franchise.


I hope they are able to balance all of the villains they have in the film. They have characters like Electro, Green Goblin, and Rhino. Will this crowd the film?


Added perk, I was an extra in this movie. So, I'm really excited to see if I can point myself out. (I am in the front row of the graduation scene) 


I will be seeing this opening weekend and probably more than once. 



Jay's Thoughts:  I actually already seen and reviewed this so check out my Amazing Spider-Man 2 Advance Review



Walk of Shame




Kat's Thoughts: I have really grown to like Elizabeth Banks. I loved her as Effie in the Hunger Games and I thought that her role in People Like Us was enjoyable. So, I trust that she will do a good job with this film also.


This looks like a fun movie to see on Netflix, but a little bit too generic to see in the movie theater.  




May 9th



Legends of OZ: Dorothy's Return





Kat's Thoughts: This looks dumb! I remember seeing this trailer in the movie theater and just laughing at how ridiculous it looked. If this was a TV release movie than I could understand why they were making this movie. This looks like a TV movie. But I would never spend money on this film and I don't think parents should either. The animation looks stiff and the dialogue is stupid. I will be skipping this one.


Jay's Thoughts: I agree with Kat, this movie looks dumb. The Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic, and it has become such a staple in our culture and our hearts that I think making a movie that looks this dumb and attaching it to the name Wizard Of Oz will rub a lot of people the wrong way.



Neighbors





Kat's thoughts: Zac Efron has a big fanbase, especially with college girls. We all grew up with Zac Efron and it has been fun to see him grown up and take on different roles. I know people are going to want to see this movie for Zac Efron alone! 


I think the movie has a fun concept. A couple settled down living next to a fraternity. But a big problem is I didn't really laugh while watching the trailer. A lot of it was juvenile jokes. I hope they were saving the funnier scenes for the movie. 


I think that this movie will fill a lot of seats, especially with the college crowd. But I don't know how well this will do with critics. 


Jay's Thoughts: I agree with Kat, the girls are going to go see this movie for their eye candy/crush/hearthrob Zac Efron, but I think that guys will get the humor more, because it is aimed at us more. I think this will be a great fun date movie, the girl gets their eye candy and the guy gets their laugh.



Mom's Night Out




Jay's Thoughts: This movie feels like a mixture of a gender bent Hangover, Adventures In Babysitting, and some Daddy Daycare. It looks funny but I am not sure if it is theater worthy or a Netflix wait.


Chef




Kat's Thoughts: Food is art, Film is art. Put that together and you get Chef. I really like that the trailer focused on the food and why it is important to be creative with your dishes.


Also the cast behind this project excites me. Jon Favreau, the mind behind the Iron Man movies, is the writer, actor, and director of the film. There are also other familiar faces that have worked with Jon Favreau in the past like Scarlett Johansson and Robert Downey Jr. 


Why I probably won't see this in theaters? Even though I loved the names attached to this film the trailer bored me. I didn't see the meat of the story (no pun intended).  




May 16th



Godzilla



Kat's Thoughts: I have never seen the past Godzilla films, but I do want to give this film a fair shot. It looks like a pure fun monster film. I hope to see this opening weekend.


Will the hype be worth it? With names like Brian Cranston and honestly Godzilla himself there is a lot of hype surrounding the film. I just hope it can live up to its own hype. 


Jay's Thoughts: I grew up watching the Godzilla movies as a kid from Japan with the really bad dubbing. I watched the Matthew Broderick 90's Godzilla that was really bad so I am looking forward to this more traditional but Americanized Godzilla, and I hope it succeeds.



Million Dollar Arm




Jay's Thoughts: I'm a Baseball fan and I noticed there are two types of sports movies. The first is the inspirational story of the underdog, and the second is a comedic one. Now every once in a while the two converge and you get a comedic inspirational underdog story and i think the stars have aligned for Disney and this is the latter. This is a theater worthy movie for me that I think will make a good date movie.



May 23rd


X-Men Days of Future Past 





Kat's thoughts: Another film I am anticipating this month. Meshing the cast of the old X-Men and the First Class X-Men is going to give us the biggest and most hyped X-Men movie, Days of Future Past. 

I love a lot of actors in the cast Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, etc. I am not a big fan that they replaced Kitty Pryde with Wolverine as the main character. But I am not a big fan of Ellen Page playing Kitty Pryde. So, I guess I can live with the change.

A downfall with this film is the same downfall that can happen with Amazing Spider-Man, too many character to focus on in the film. Will it be possible to focus on two casts and still have a cohesive story?

Jay's Thoughts: I am looking forward to this. This may be the most ambitious superhero movie of all time. X-Men: Days Of Future Past has such a huge cast spanning two timelines, and introduces the Sentinels to the X-Men Cinematic Universe. I want to see how this plays out and will be there opening weekend or sooner if I get to see another premiere (fingers crossed), because I want to see this. If this succeeds this could change superhero movies as far as scope goes.

Blended


Jay's Thoughts: Ok this is a must see for me. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are a known success when it comes to movies. But this had me cracking up. This is like a funny Brady Bunch in the present day. Seeing Terry Crews as a lounge singer type character in Africa made me crack up alone, but there are so many other moments. I will see this opening weekend and I think this will be another good date movie.


May 30th



Maleficent


Kat's Thoughts: As you guys know I love Disney! But surprisingly I am not a big Sleeping Beauty fan. So, when this movie was first announced I wasn't really excited to see it. But than I saw the first trailer and Angelina Jolie won me over as Maleficent. I still get chills with this scene between Aurora and Maleficent:

Maleficent: "I am not afraid"
Aurora: "Then Come Out"
Maleficent: "Then You Will Be Afraid" 

That scene really won me over with Angelina Jolie being Maleficent.

I am not so impressed with Elle Fanning. She seems two dimensional, but they may be doing that on purpose to heighten Maleficent's character. I will be seeing this in theaters. 

Jay's Thoughts: I agree with Kat. I am not a fan of Angelina Jolie at all, but the scene Kat mentioned sold me on this movie, all it took was that little clip and I am sold.


A Million Ways to Die in The West


Kat's Thoughts: Here comes a new Seth MacFarlane movie. Can this become the new Ted?

I honestly think it can. It has a wonderfully diverse cast with Seth MacFarlane, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, and many more great actors. Most importantly the plot is original. Just like Ted it has Seth MacFarlane stamp all over it. I hope to see this movie in theaters.

Jay's Thoughts: I was cracking up watching this trailer. I grew up watching traditional westerns, and I can not wait to see Seth MacFarlane's comedic spin on them. May seems like a fun month and I can not Wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment