Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Reyes Countdown #12 Week Of 6/11/14


By: Reyes


Hey Comic Book fans! This is a series where I (Jay Reyes) review every book I got in one week and pick my favorite.




















Original Sins #1 (Number 10 and Worst of The Week)

This issue wasn't just bad it was oh my god bad. After reading Original Sin #3 I was on an Original Sin kind of high so I picked this up on a whim. and boy was I disappointed. The only story I remotely enjoyed was the Deathlok portion of the book and that was mediocre at best. I hate when they integrate ideas from the movies and the TV shows to the comics, they might as well call Deathlok Mike Peterson. The other two stories were so bad that I honestly don’t even want to talk about them that's how bad they were.



















Batman Eternal #10 (Number 9)

It’s so sad how Batman Eternal has turned out. with such a promising concept and amazing creative team this series should and I guess still could be a great series but for some odd reason it keeps on failing. The art in this book is god awful and the story is just very dull. This issue started off with Catwoman giving Falcone his infamous scars (Did anyone really want to see this?) and just continued to go down hill. I so badly want this to be better so I'm still holding out hope that this book gets better. The only reason this wasn't the Worst Pick of The Week is because Stephanie Brown’s story actually had some continuation and I like how her story is progressing and that is the only thing that is keeping me interested in the series. I don’t care about Jim Gordon anymore, and to be fully honest I don’t care what Batgirl's doing because they've drug this story out about as far as I could possibly care about it.



















The New 52: Futures End #6 (Number 8)

Most of the things I said for Batman Eternal can almost be said for Futures End also but the big difference is that I enjoy Futures End a lot more. Batman Beyond’s story is finally continuing and I really like the direction of his story, I was bored with the Frankenstein bits and I honestly just wanted to skip it but I didn't the one thing I liked was (SPOILER ALERT Highlight To Read) Black Adam being trapped in the Phantom Zone is very interesting. the Lois Lane bits were OK and I’m highly intrigued with what's going on with Superman and I look forward to his big reveal. In all this issue was mediocre.



















Uncanny X-Men Special #1 (Number 7)

Cyclops being one of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe I really love when he gets a story that is centralized around him. This issue starts off a mini event and I gotta say I thought this story was solid. The comedy in this issue was fun and I enjoyed the dynamic of the Uncanny X-Men team and I’m pretty excited to see what happens next. I hope Alex makes an appearance since (SPOILER ALERT Highlight To Read) Someone is paying people to kidnap him. The only reason this is so low is because the art is very bad. If this issue had great art this issue would be much higher on my list than it is and I had to knock off some points for the bad art.



















Detective Comics #32 (Number 6)

The art in this book is freaking incredible and honestly it made this issue for me. Buccellato draws Batman so beautifully and the world around Batman is stunning. Other than the amazing art that was it. The story quite frankly has become kind of boring. I got the idea that this series would be high octane and entertaining but what I've gotten so far is kind of boring. I enjoyed segments of this issues and (SPOILER ALERT Highlight To Read) Batman vs a killer Octopus is freaking great, but that was really it. I really hope Icarus is explained better and that the main villain finally is revealed because I don’t know how far this story arc can go without becoming stale.



















Infinity Man And The Forever People #1 (Top 5!)

I’m shocked that I liked this as much as I did.When I got this issue I wasn't very excited for it and I read it first just to get it out of the way but I very much enjoyed it. I’m pretty new to the world of New Genesis so I was happy to get some background on the planet. The new characters were cool but some were kind of forgettable but I highly enjoyed the concept of New Genesis citizens coming to Earth to better humans. I feel like I’m really going to enjoy this book. Hopefully some of the other characters in the book are fleshed out more like Big Bear. Also the art was really nice and fit the tone of the story and the dialogue was really good.



















Wolverine #8 (Number 4)

I’m not a very big Wolverine fan... scratch that I’m not a fan of Wolverine at all and I just got this issue to see how he dies. I didn't expect to enjoy this at all just like Infinity Man And The Forever People I thought I was going to hate this issue but I didn't and at the end of this issue I was pleasantly surprised with how I felt about this event. The art was fantastic and I really enjoyed all of the characters involved.  I’m looking forward to the next issue and hopefully it continues to be really good.



















Justice League United #2 (Number 3)

Justice League United #2 was a really fun and entertaining read. I really enjoyed Lobo and Hawkman’s fight and McKone’s art is fantastic. Adam Strange is a cool new character to introduce into The New 52 and I can’t wait to see more about him. Stargirl is a really fun character and I love her relationship with the rest of the team. Green Arrow and Animal Man's constant bickering is also really fun. The only real problem I had with this book was Supergirl not being a Red Lantern. If this series takes place after Forever Evil how is Supergirl not a Red Lantern it just makes no sense and is quite jarring.



















Superman Wonder Woman #9 (Number 2)

Thank god this event did not go downhill  after that atrocious last issue and I’m happy to see that this event has gotten back on track. Tony S. Daniel’s art is always incredible and he draws Superman and Wonder Woman so eloquently. This issue was fun and action filled and showed where Superman’s psyche was. I really can’t wait to see how Superman gets out of this predicament and the inclusion of the Red Lanterns was a great add on to make it feel like the DC Universe is lively and joined together.


















All New X-Men #28 (Number 1 and Best of The Week!)

All New X-Men #28 was a very well done issue that was leaps and bounds better than last issue. The explanation of how young Xavier and his Brotherhood are back in our time is well done even though it felt kind of contrived but that's time travel for you and I’m just happy that the Brotherhoods return has some sort of explanation. one problem I have with this issue was Xorn being completely silent throughout the whole issue. We all know it’s Jean Grey under the hood so why isn't she not speaking up at all. Other than that minor annoyance I didn't have many gripes and I enjoyed most of the book. The art is always great and I’m going to continue saying that every time it comes out. I can’t wait to see how this story pans out and how this will lead into The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier.




Let us know in the comments what you think of The Reyes Countdown and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!


No comments:

Post a Comment