Thursday, August 27, 2015

Mimi's Rapid Fire Reviews: Mulan Revelations #3, Batgirl #43, Drive #1, Sherlock Holmes 7 Percent #1 and more!


Hi world, my name's Mimi and here's my reviews for Mulan Revelations #3, Batgirl #43, Deathstroke #9, Drive #1. Sherlock Holmes 7 Percent #1, Ant Man Last Days #1, Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra #1,  Shield #9! and Doctor Who Event Four Doctors #3

Mulan Revelations #3
God I still want this on my wall. LOOK AT THAT COVER! LOOK AT IT! But I digress, this was, once again, another fabulous issue. This issue opened up with Mulan and her American friend Adam from last month inside an awesome looking temple where Mulan commented on everything being true, all the stories she was told as a kid were in fact real. 'Immortal' huh?Sounds like what we westerners call Angels.'' Our American says in which Mulan replies 'Same stories, different costumes huh?'' Like the previous two issues, this comic was filled with great plot revelations and witty banter. Especially ''The only reason I don't kick your ass right here is because I want an explanation. And if I don't like it, I'll still kick your ass.'' 

Favorite Quote(s): That's the point, isn't it? Keep us divided by our differences, not our similarities. Like a screwed up remix of the Tower of Babel story.
What I liked most; PAGE 7
What I disliked most: page 17 for spoilery reasons!
Rating; 5 out of 5.

Batgirl #43
LIONS, AND TIGERS AND BEARS OH MY! Okay, just tigers but come on, when do you ever get to say that saying? Not nearly enough if you ask me. Poor Luke Fox feels super guilty about the tiger mauling his new employee and Qadir is being blamed! Also LOVED the folding motorcycle. Like whaaat, give me ones of those now. I really love the art in this series and that this issue was more Babs centric. I'm also happy it had more of Frankie possibly becoming Bab's Oracle this time around. I also really liked Alysia and loved the twist with Jo! I'm super excited for next months issue!



Favorite Quote(s): Hey Frosty Flakes! Not smart Babs! NOT SMART!
What I liked most; PAGE 14
What I disliked most: PAGE 15 WAS SAD GIRL FIGHTING!
Rating;  4.5 out of 5.




Deathstroke #9
To be honest I've never really cared for Deathstroke/Slade Wilson before. That's probably because I hated his guts in Teen Titans. However, I did enjoy Slade's commentary and how Diana was involved in the fights as well. The villain was okay, I wasn't all that impressed and was mainly sad at all the destruction to Paradise that took place because of the ''all mighty'' Titan villain. I wouldn't mind reading the previous 8 issues or getting a trade of the series eventually but right now, I'm not all that impressed. 


Favorite Quote(s): Yeah, and I've of you too. You're that boy scout from Mars or whatever.
What I liked most; Ironically enough, Slade's commentary.
What I disliked most: TOTALLY UNNECESSARY SUPERMAN/SLADE FIGHT
Rating;  3.5 out of 5.


Drive #1
Man, I loved the movie and this comic was just as awesome!
Irina is adorable, I hope she doesn't die. Like the movie, Drive was nice and bloody. Oh and the comic had a lot more narrative than the movie did to be honest. ''I always pick my own car. Never steal one, that's the first mistake people make, pros and amateurs alike. I always buy off small lots. You look for something bland, mid-range, some shade of brown or gray. Something that'll fade into the background. But you also want a ride that can get up on its rear wheels and paw air if you need it to.''  Overall this was a fun issue and I'm curious to see how it plays out in the long run.

Favorite Quote(s): Someone should tell them, that's what life is. A long series of things that don't go down the way you thought they would.
What I liked most; Page 10
What I disliked most: Page 22, of course it had to go that way.
Rating;  4.5 out of 5.

Sherlock Holmes 7 Percent #1
Old Watson is adorable and needs a hug. I love that it really left nothing out of Holmes personality and overall moods. He did cocaine, he played the violin, he shot the wall, he wasn't the most pleasant person and flashbacks from Watson show that. It was a good start to the series of course focusing on Holmes and Moriarty. I thought this was an enjoyable issue. Way more 'wordy' compared to most of the other comics I've been reviewing but I did enjoy it. It's always nice to see the deconstruction of Holmes as a god among men as a man who got addicted to cocaine and needs help.

Favorite Quote(s): I have come to realize that Holmes was a deeply passionate human being. He was convinced the play of feelings would interfere with the precision demanded by his work.
What I liked most; 
What I disliked most: 
Rating;  4.5 out of 5.

Ant Man Last Days #1
Oh Scott, you are one entertaining character. I loved the whole opening sequence. This was such a cute comic with Mary Morgan being an adorable old lady giving all of the other 80's heroes a time to enjoy being young again. ALL THEY DID WAS DO GOOD DEEDS AND FLY AROUND AND APPREHEND THE VILLAINS! It was also sad too but very cute at the same time. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to page 17. 
Favorite Quote(s): Now, I get what you're thinking. Aren't I a little young for this place? But hey, I could be visting family! Okay, maybe not. I could just prefer the company of people who have lived full lives, trying to glean all I can from their wisdom and experience. Just kidding. Old people terrify me. and I'm so sorry Captain America.
What I liked most; page 17.
What I disliked most: Page 24. Damn fade outs.
Rating;  5 out of 5.

Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra #1

So this was, interesting? Poor Hank got his ass kicked by Nick Fury and Captain America but then again, he's a Hydra agent. ''I'm so sorry for your loss. Hail Hydra.'' Never thought I'd hear those words going through my head but this comic gave them to me. Like most of the Secret Wars comics, it felt like a total crack fic but I enjoyed it never the less. Even though it felt pretty stupid.





Favorite Quote(s): ''She's not wearing any underwear again.'' and ''I can't sue madam Hydra for sexual harassment.'' 
What I liked most; 
What I disliked most: 
Rating;   4 out of 5.


Shield #9

Thanks for filling the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. void comic! COULSEN HAS ONE OF CAPTAIN AMERICA'S SHIELDS ON HIS WALL!  I loved the mixture of the old and new art in this issue. The fact it seems like they used actual old comic strips made it even better. And if they didn't, the artists did an amazing job copying the style. The SHIELD issue was actually a lot of fun and done rather well and the bonus Dum Dum one was awesome! I hope to continue both series.




Favorite Quote(s): So you lonely today, Phil? Is that why you're sharing, or is there something urgent to this?
What I liked most; Dum Dum''s need for his bowler hats.
What I disliked most: Cliff hangers..
Rating;  5 out of 5.



Doctor Who Event Four Doctors #3
I love that the little catch up from last weeks issue was ''Clara again! tried to stop the Doctors from Marnius, but the Doctors ignored her warnings!'' It was like my internal monologue going DAMN IT CLARA. I enjoyed the banter more this issue and it became easier to get everyone talking at once. Also really love Alice and Gabby. I just wish they were on the TV show. No offense Clara fans but I am really tired of her on the show. BUT MORE ABOUT THE COMIC! This little banter was lovely:
10: It took ALL THREE of us. And did you see a picture actually being taken? I didn't see a picture being taken.
12; And HE had to keep moving his arms around.
11: Hey, no. I never, well, a bit. But my arms aren't really the issue here because something up there just made a bing noise. An activation noise. So I think the immediate problem has just become LOTS OF EXPLODY DEATH RAYS!  
I want to quote all of page 7 because 10 and 12 interacting with the opposite companions was fabulous and 12's comment on 11 being with Clara was funny as well. Also ''Continuity Bomb'' is the best bomb ever, I laughed a lot at that.

Favorite Quote(s): ''I still have my comics, phew.'' and ''Why do I have to get the cowardly timeline?'' 
What I liked most; Pages 7, 8,14 and 16 
What I disliked most: The ending, damn cliff hanger. 
Rating; 5 out of 5.
Bonus, here's all 5 covers of Doctor Who's Four Doctors  event
My Ranking of the week;
  • 10) Deathstroke #9
  • 9) Sherlock Holmes 7 Percent #1 
  • 7) Drive #1 
  • 6)   Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra #1
  • 5) Ant Man Last Days #1
  • 4) SHIELD #9
  • 3) Doctor Who Event Four Doctors #3
  • 2) Batgirl #43
  • 1) Mulan Revelations #3

Let us know in the comments what you think of this Comic Frontline article, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for the latest Previews, Reviews, News and Interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment